A Family Builds a Homestead in the Rain

Going Home: Part 1 of the Move North

We’ve just returned from the first leg of the move to our Oregon property. The trip was a whirlwind, filled with the ups and downs that were mostly expected, some less so. We had some weather-related surprises, and I broke my finger on day-2.

When we drove up mid-day on the 28th, the highway wound along rivers and creeks so full and brown and powerful, they were washing into people’s yards and lapping at homes and outbuildings. Each of us was imagining the worst– that our bridge would be consumed, the buildings threatened, that our innocent, chortling creek might have grown into a wintertime monster.

We were relieved to discover that our creek was still blue-gray and not particularly full, even with streams across the property feeding steadily into it. If our creek ever flooded its banks, the towns below would have long since been washed away by the larger waterways.

Over the next few days, the rain stopped and temperatures plummeted into the teens. Moisture was sucked from the clay soil into towering ice formations. I spent hours each day photographing the land, the forest, the crystalized grasses and frosted leaves.

The entire place was quiet but for occasional rooster crows from a distant neighbor’s and birds in the cedar and redwood trees. We explored the outbuildings. Two small shacks were a surprise to us, clinging to the bank of the creek and buried in blackberry brambles. They appear to be cabins of the early 1900s. A large tree had crushed the one most accessible, and it and its contents had been abandoned. A chest with a broken lock contained photographs and hand-written letters with postmarks from the ’60s.

I documented everything.

One of our dogs got into a snarling scuffle with my dad’s on the second day after their breakfast. I lunged into the mix to separate them, which everyone should know (and I better than anyone thanks to prior related injuries) you never do. The dogs were both fine, not a scratch on either. I, however, did not come out unscathed: my ring finger was obviously broken between the last joint and the tip. I didn’t feel it then, thanks to the pulsing adrenaline, but I could see it clearly and I felt it soon enough! I was hindered by acute pain and a splint for the remainder of the trip.

We set the house up to be comfortable, sparsely furnished with the essentials, except for a stove since we have yet to install a gas line. We cooked on the smoker, induction burner and toaster oven: spaghetti the first night, then smoked ribs and mashed potatoes, chili, and refried bean burritos (we used the recipe I posted prior, but in lieu of water I made a broth from the rib bones, so they were not vegetarian but especially delicious!).

Every day I gathered wild greens for fresh salads: dandelion leaves, buds and blossoms, chickweed, dock, and cat’s ear, dressed lightly with olive oil and vinegar.

While we did not get any new fencing up as I’d hoped, I did get a small plot of garden turned, amended and planted with garlic and shallots. I mulched it thickly with leaves from the Norway maple, and laid branches across it (unattractively) to prevent the wind from carrying the leaves away.

On the last full day I cut immense, years-dead broken limbs from a plum tree near the house. It felt like a great accomplishment to begin restoring a tree in such poor health. I saved a beautiful abandoned bird’s nest from the snarl.

When I photographed the end result, my memory card showed an error. But I didn’t know until I began to upload on our drive home that the malfunction had deleted every file but the last eight: thousands of photos, none of which from the past ten days had been backed up.

So the second, far more painful lesson I had to relearn: back up precious work often and use multiple memory cards.

I’ve been consoling myself that my photos were not of a one-time event, no cherished memory left behind. I can take new pictures on our next trip. There may not be the unique frozen earth. The wreath I made of ivy, yellow-tipped cedar and holly and hung on our new front door may have withered. But there will be scenes and wreathes to replace those; many. There’s an entire future to play out there. A home to be built, and life to create. And plenty of time for new photographs soon enough.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Similar posts
  • Three Months On The Homestead With autumn peeking around the corner of September, with my daughter’s second birthday days away, with cool afternoons finally settling in, we’re looking back on our first three months here. Life is feeling lush, productive, and happy. The guestroom bed is covered with jars– canned blackberry jam, blueberry jam, applesauce, preserved lemons. The kitchen table [...]
  • Anticipation of Fall In the midst of summer, under July heat and between berry-picking and trips to the lake, my mind always begins to move to fall. On chilly mornings, or when a breeze picks up and thrashes the plants out front, I feel it coming, though its arrival is still months off yet. It’s always been at this [...]
  • Summertime Summer is not my favorite season by any stretch, yet in spite of unprecedented weeks of heat here in the Pacific Northwest, this summer has been filled with charm and simple luxuries. The creek is at what neighbors say is a record low for this time of year, and I believe it. But it still offers [...]
  • One Month On The Homestead We’ve been here one month, now. It’s all sinking in– the reality, the permanence. It’s spectacular. And while the work is hard and plentiful, I remind myself of how much we’ve accomplished. With a toddler at foot (or on my back), here’s what the first month has yielded on the new homestead: We’ve installed and [...]
  • The May Garden As May concludes, here finally is an update on the garden. We’ve been here two weeks, and it’s finally starting to feel real. The garden project is one of my most gratifying, although much of it seems to be two steps forward; one step back. I’m continuing to plant, in the interest of a passing [...]


  1. Dan Dan
    January 4, 2015    

    A shame about the pictures and the finger, but you have a great attitude!

    • January 4, 2015    

      Thanks Dan! I’m trying not to miss out on the awesomeness of all this by dwelling on the bummers, because I know there will be plenty to go along with the good. So it goes.

  2. January 4, 2015    

    This is so exciting. What an ideal setting for you pioneers to raise your daughter in—grandpa, the outdoors, self-sufficiency and more. I hope your finger heals quickly. Happy new year!

    • January 4, 2015    

      Thank you– happy new year to you too! I can’t wait to be able to actually get some pictures up. Next trip in a few weeks!

  3. January 5, 2015    

    Kelly, Thanks for sharing your journey. I will be following and sharing with my followers. Best of everything for this new year. I am excited for you and your family. 🙂

    • January 5, 2015    

      Thank you so much Rhonda! We are excited– thank you for reading and sharing! Happy New Year!

  4. January 5, 2015    

    I saw frost flowers for the first time on New Year’s Eve, or the day before — can’t remember for sure. Probably the same day you did! Aren’t they pretty?

    • January 6, 2015    

      They were spectacular! Every little leaf was. You got the same weather we did, I think!

No Pings Yet

  1. Winter Surprises | Little Fall Creek on March 4, 2015 at 6:29 am


I'm Kelly. Writer, crafter, forager, country winemaker, cook. Mama of an awesome toddler and married to my best friend. We recently returned to the Pacific Northwest, where we're setting out to grow, make, and learn as much as we can as the future unfolds.

Follow Along

Never miss a post! Receive updates by email.

Popular Posts